Re: PSQL commands not backwards-compatible

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: PSQL commands not backwards-compatible
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Tom,

> Can you point to any single one of the past five major releases in which
> psql's backslash commands *WERE* completely backwards-compatible with
> previous versions of PostgreSQL?  This is not breaking news.

Because this is the first time I can remember where *none* of the \ commands
work with older servers.  And because the error we give is pretty ungraceful.

Hmmm ... how difficult would it be to give a useful error message instead of a
SQL error?  Something like:

"I'm sorry, that PSQL command did not work.  Most likely, you are connecting
to a different version of PostgreSQL."

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions