Re: When to do a vacuum for highly active table

От mark@mark.mielke.cc
Тема Re: When to do a vacuum for highly active table
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 05:29:17PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Markus Benne <thing@m-bass.com> writes:
> > We have a highly active table that has virtually all
> > entries updated every 5 minutes.  Typical size of the
> > table is 50,000 entries, and entries have grown fat.
> > We are thinking of splitting the table in two: the
> > part the updates often, and the part the updates
> > infrequently as we suspect that record size impacts
> > vacuum.
> You just said that virtually all rows update constantly --- where's
> the "infrequent" part?

I think he means splitting it vertically, instead of horizontally, and
it sounds like an excellent idea, if a large enough portion of each
record is in fact mostly fixed. Otherwise, PostgreSQL is copying data
multiple times, only to have the data expire as part of a dead row.

I've already started to notice such issues with postgresql - but more
because I'm using low-end hardware, and I'm projecting the effect for
when our database becomes much larger with much higher demand on the
database.

This is the sort of scenario where a database without transactional
integrity would significantly out-perform one designed around it. If
records are fixed sized, and updated in place, these problems would
occur far less often. Is it heresy to suggest MySQL in here? :-)

I switched from MySQL to PostgreSQL several months ago, and haven't
looked back - but they do work differently, and for certain uses, one
can destroy the other. Using a MyISAM table would be the way I would
go with this sort of problem.

Cheers,
mark

--