Re: POSS. FEATURE REQ: "Dynamic" Views

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: POSS. FEATURE REQ: "Dynamic" Views
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sat, Aug 27, 2005 at 12:50:44AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> > > I wonder whether it would be saleable to have an option to work around this
> > > "feature". I'm thinking one of two directions:
> > >
> > > 1) An alternate type of view that just stores the text of the view and is
> > > interpreted at time of use like:
> > >
> > > CREATE DYNAMIC VIEW foo AS (SELECT * FROM tab)
> > >
> > > or 2) A command to recompile a view which would go back to the original source
> > > and reinterpret it like:
> > >
> > > ALTER VIEW foo RECOMPILE
> > >
> > > Or I guess you could have the latter and then add the former as a view that
> > > automatically recompiles any time a object it depends on is altered.
> >
> > I agree that CREATE DYNAMIC would be a good thing to have. It would
> > certainly save me time on some of my projects.
> >
> > Can we TODO this?
>
> How is this different from materialized views, which is already on the
> TODO list?

The idea behind the DYNAMIC VIEW is that if you made a DDL change in the
table it could be reflected in the view. So for example, if you defined
a view as SELECT * FROM table; and then added a field to the table that
field would also show up in the view.
Pervasive Software        http://pervasive.com        512-569-9461