Re: Read/Write block sizes

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Read/Write block sizes
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
This thread covers several performance ideas.  First is the idea that
more parameters should be configurable.   While this seems like a noble
goal, we try to make parameters auto-tuning, or if users have to
configure it, the parameter should be useful for a significant number of
users.

In the commercial software world, if you can convince your boss that a
feature/knob is useful, it usually gets into the product.
Unfortunately, this leads to the golden doorknob on a shack, where some
features are out of sync with the rest of the product in terms of
usefulness and utility.  With open source, if a feature can not be
auto-tuned, or has significant overhead, the features has to be
implemented and then proven to be a benefit.

In terms of adding async I/O, threading, and other things, it might make
sense to explore how these could be implemented in a way that fits the
above criteria.