Re: [SPAM?] Re: PG8 Tuning

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: [SPAM?] Re: PG8 Tuning
Дата
Re: PG8 Tuning  (John A Meinel <john@arbash-meinel.com>)
Список pgsql-performance
On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 09:12:31AM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:

> However, you are absolutely correct in that it's *relative* advice, not
> absolute advice.   If, for example, you're using a $100,000 EMC SAN as your
> storage you'll probably be better off giving it everything and letting its
> controller and cache handle disk allocation etc.   On the other hand, if
> you're dealing with the 5 drives in a single Dell 6650, I've yet to encounter
> a case where a separate xlog disk did not benefit an OLTP application.

I've been asked this a couple of times and I don't know the answer: what
happens if you give XLog a single drive (unmirrored single spindle), and
that drive dies?  So the question really is, should you be giving two
disks to XLog?

"[PostgreSQL] is a great group; in my opinion it is THE best open source
development communities in existence anywhere."                (Lamar Owen)