Re: Simplifying wal_sync_method

От Marko Kreen
Тема Re: Simplifying wal_sync_method
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 08:04:44PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Marko Kreen wrote:
> >> On same topic:
> >> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2005-07/msg00811.php
> >> Why does win32 PostgreSQL allow data corruption by default?
>
> > It behaves the same on Unix as Win32, and if you have battery-backed
> > cache, you don't need writethrough, so we don't have it as default.  I
> > am going to write a section in the manual for 8.1 about these
> > reliability issues.
>
> I thought we had changed the default for Windows to be fsync_writethrough
> in 8.1?  We didn't have that code in 8.0, but now that we do, it surely
> seems like the sanest default.

Seems it _was_ default in 8.0 and 8.0.1 (called fsync) but
renamed to fsync_writethrough in 8.0.2 and moved away from being
default.

Now, 8.0.2 was released on 2005-04-07 and first destruction
happened in 2005-07-20.  If this says anything about future,
I don't think PostgreSQL will stay known as 'reliable' database.

--
marko