Re: Foreign key with check?

От Bruno Wolff III
Тема Re: Foreign key with check?
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 16:08:19 -0400, Jeff Boes <jeff@endpoint.com> wrote:
> Given a table like this:
>
> create table primary (
>   a integer primary key,
>   b boolean
> );
>
> And another like this:
>
> create table secondary (
>   a integer,
>   some_other_fields
> );
>

> I would like a foreign key constraint on the "secondary" table that
> looks something like:
>
> foreign key (a, true) references primary (a, b)
>
> That is, a row in "secondary" is allowed to reference a row in "primary"
> if and only if that referenced row has (b = true).

If what you are saying is that all entries in secondary need to reference
a row in primary and in addition the referenced row must have b true, then
you can do this fairly simply using a bit of extra space.
Add a row b to secondary with a constraint that b = true. Then make the
foreign key reference on both a and b.