Re: transaction timeout

От Michael Fuhr
Тема Re: transaction timeout
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 07:40:30AM -0700, Dr NoName wrote:

> I have been quite satisfied with the level of support
> from the PostgreSQL community, but this time I'm
> getting nothing.

There have been a couple of replies to your post, although perhaps
not what you were hoping for:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2005-07/msg00984.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2005-07/msg00985.php

> So, is transaction timeout option planned at all?

A search through the archives shows that transaction timeout has
been discussed recently in pgsql-hackers, but unless I've missed
something it it hasn't been implemented yet (and therefore probably
won't be available in 8.1 since it's in feature freeze).

> What's the alternative solution to a client that's hung in transaction?

What's the client doing that takes locks strong enough to "lock up
the entire database"?  Why does the client hang?  Since the database
doesn't currently have a way to detect and handle these situations,
it might be worthwhile to find out what's happening to see if it
can be prevented.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/