Re: db slowness + upgrade prospects

От Martijn van Oosterhout
Тема Re: db slowness + upgrade prospects
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Check the sizes of your relations, it may be that your indexes are
getting large. Under certain situations, older versions of postgresql
would have indexes grow forever. Try REINDEX on various tables. Also,
the output of vacuum should give you hints as to large tables/indexes.

Hope this helps,

On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 03:17:03PM -0600, Ed L. wrote:

> Our inserts and updates on an older 7.3.4 cluster are very slow
> (0.3s-0.9s) for any/all tables, new and old.  I know an upgrade
> may be in order, but I have a number of other 7.3.4 legacy
> clusters, and I'd really like to understand the cause and if an
> upgrade is going to solve this problem (downtime is sensitive,
> of course).
>
> As a test case, I created the following table on both the slow
> cluster and a newly created test cluster on the same box:
>
>     create table foo(id integer, msg text)
>
> I measured less than 10 inserts/second max on the slow cluster.
> On the new cluster on the same system, I measured 5000
> inserts/second.  So I figure it's something in the system
> relations.  Autovac had been disabled for a few days at least.
> I did a db-wide vacuum/analyze, still no speedup.
>
> So two questions:  1) Any ideas on what is the cause?  2) How is
> this avoided in 7.4.8 or 8.0.3?
>
> Ed

Вложения

Сообщение: Re: pgsql client/server compatibility matrix?
Сообщение: Re: pgsql client/server compatibility matrix?