Re: Quotation marks in queries

От Roman Neuhauser
Тема Re: Quotation marks in queries
Дата
Список pgsql-general
# teknokrat@yahoo.com / 2005-07-20 12:43:48 +0100:
> Tony Caduto wrote:
> >The easiest solution is just not to use caps or spaces in your
> >table/object names, there is no advantage to doing so.
> >People just need to get over the fact that having caps in a name make it
> >easier to read.
> >
> >My Test Table  should be my_test_table,  the naming makes no difference
> >to the application using the table.
> >
> >Same thing with ordering of fields in a table, it makes no difference
> >other than for looks if the fields are in the order you want them
> >to be in.
> >
> >It is much more of a pain to qoute your sql than it is to have it look
> >nice.
> >
> >Just my 2 cents on the subject.
> >

> The problem we have is that we want to migrate to postgresql from our
> current sql server db, but the problem with caps requiring quotes around
> them makes this a far from easy migration.

    Just so that it doesn't look like your problems are caused by
    PostgreSQL: it is in accordance with SQL:1999, with the exception
    that SQL says "fold to uppercase", but PostgreSQL folds to lowercase.

    IOW, if you require that "table" <> "Table" <> "TABLE", then SQL is
    the wrong langaue.

You don't know, man.  You don't KNOW.