Re: lots of updates on small table

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: lots of updates on small table
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 09:42:12AM +1000, Alison Winters wrote:

> > > Our application requires a number of processes to select and update rows
> > > from a very small (<10 rows) Postgres table on a regular and frequent
> > > basis.  These processes often run for weeks at a time, but over the
> > > space of a few days we find that updates start getting painfully slow.
> > > We are running a full vacuum/analyze and reindex on the table every day,
> > Full vacuum, eh?  I wonder if what you really need is very frequent
> > non-full vacuum.  Say, once in 15 minutes (exact rate depending on dead
> > tuple rate.)
> >
> Is there a difference between vacuum and vacuum full?

Yes.  Vacuum full is more aggresive in compacting the table.  Though it
really works the same in the presence of long-running transactions:
tuples just can't be removed.

> The most recent output was this:
>
> INFO:  --Relation public.plc_fldio--
> INFO:  Pages 1221: Changed 3, reaped 256, Empty 0, New 0; Tup 108137: Vac 4176, Keep/VTL 108133/108133, UnUsed 19,
MinLen84, MaxLen 84; Re-using: Free/Avail. Space 445176/371836; EndEmpty/Avail. Pages 0/256.
>         CPU 0.04s/0.14u sec elapsed 0.18 sec.
> INFO:  Index plcpage_idx: Pages 315; Tuples 108137: Deleted 4176.
>         CPU 0.03s/0.04u sec elapsed 0.14 sec.
> INFO:  Rel plc_fldio: Pages: 1221 --> 1221; Tuple(s) moved: 0.
>         CPU 0.03s/0.04u sec elapsed 0.36 sec.
> INFO:  Analyzing public.plc_fldio

Hmm, so it seems your hourly vacuum is enough.  I think the bloat theory
can be trashed.  Unless I'm reading this output wrong; I don't remember
the details of this vacuum output.

> We'll up it to every 15 minutes, but i don't know if that'll help
> because even with the current vacuuming the updates are still getting
> slower and slower over the course of several days.  What really puzzles
> me is why restarting the processes fixes it.

I wonder if the problem may be plan caching.  I didn't pay full
attention to the description of your problem, so I don't remember if it
could be an issue, but it's something to consider.

> Does PostgreSQL keep some kind of backlog of transactions all for one
> database connection?

No.  There could be a problem if you had very long transactions, but
apparently this isn't your problem.

> Isn't it normal to have processes that keep a single database
> connection open for days at a time?

I guess it depends on exactly what you do with it.  I know of at least
one case where an app keeps a connection open for months, without a
problem.  (It's been running for four or five years, and monthly
"uptime" for that particular daemon is not unheard of.)

"Everybody understands Mickey Mouse. Few understand Hermann Hesse.
Hardly anybody understands Einstein. And nobody understands Emperor Norton."

От: Dan Harris
Сообщение: Re: slow joining very large table to smaller ones
От: Alvaro Herrera
Сообщение: Re: lots of updates on small table