Re: Must be owner to truncate?

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Must be owner to truncate?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Jul 09, 2005 at 11:43:52PM +0300, Hannu Krosing wrote:

> Could the new file not be made to cover the next available 1GB of file
> space, that is a new physical file ?
>
> This could made using of same kind of machinery my proposal for
> concurrent index does (i.e. locks that forbid putting new tuples in
> certain tuple ranges)

I think your proposals are too "handwavy", but there is a similar
mechanism outlined for on-line index reorganizarion, whereby new tuples
can be inserted concurrently with the reorganization, being stored on a
"spill area".  See

@inproceedings{DBLP:conf/sigmod/ZouS96,   author    = {C. Zou and B. Salzberg},   editor    = {H. V. Jagadish and
InderpalSingh Mumick},   title     = {On-line Reorganization of Sparsely-populated B+trees},   booktitle = {Proceedings
ofthe 1996 ACM SIGMOD International Conference on       Management of Data, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, June 4-6, 1996},
publisher = {ACM Press},   year      = {1996},   pages     = {115-124},   bibsource = {DBLP,
\url{http://dblp.uni-trier.de}}
}

"Para tener más hay que desear menos"