Re: roles question

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: roles question
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
* Joe Conway (mail@joeconway.com) wrote:
> After months of being unable to keep up with what's going on here, I'm
> trying to educate myself on some of the latest developments. I was
> playing with roles a bit, and I don't know if I'm doing something wrong,
> or if I found a hole:

Things have changed a bit (we're more closely following the SQL spec,
for one thing :).

> works fine:
> regression=# create role testrole2 with user testuser;
> CREATE ROLE

I don't think it's actually required (per spec) for us to allow this,
but we do because it makes some sense.

> doesn't work:
> regression=# alter role testrole with user testuser;
> ERROR:  option "rolemembers" not recognized

To give 'testuser' the rights of 'testrole' you should do:
grant testrole to testuser;

> works fine:
> regression=# alter group testrole add user testuser;
> ALTER ROLE

This works for backwards compatibility, really, not because it's
something the 'ALTER ROLE' command is supposted to be able to do.

> doesn't work (no surprise, is a syntax error):
> regression=# alter role testrole add user testuser;
> ERROR:  syntax error at or near "add" at character 21
> LINE 1: alter role testrole add user testuser;

I had made this work in my original patch (iirc) but I believe Tom
dropped it because you really should be using GRANT instead.

> It seems I can create a role with a user, and I can use ALTER GROUP
> syntax to add a user to a role, but I can't figure out how to add a user
> to a role using ALTER ROLE.

Using the 'grant role statement', per the SQL spec.

> Similarly, these might be just plain abuse of the new syntax, but appear
> to be allowed by gram.y:
>
> regression=# alter user testuser in role testrole;
> ERROR:  option "addroleto" not recognized
> regression=# alter user testuser in group testrole;
> ERROR:  option "addroleto" not recognized

This is because create role, alter role, alter user, etc, use the
same set of options (since there's a large overlap) in the syntax,
though some things don't make sense for some of those commands.
Thanks,
    Stephen