Re: CURSOR slowes down a WHERE clause 100 times?

От Niccolo Rigacci
Тема Re: CURSOR slowes down a WHERE clause 100 times?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 11:19:46PM +0200, Niccolo Rigacci wrote:

> I have a performace problem with the following query:
>
>   BEGIN;
>   DECLARE mycursor BINARY CURSOR FOR
>     SELECT
>       toponimo,
>       wpt
>       FROM wpt_comuni_view
>         WHERE (
>           wpt &&
>           setSRID('BOX3D(4.83 36, 20.16 47.5)'::BOX3D, 4326)
>         );
>   FETCH ALL IN mycursor;
>   END;
>
> I get the results in about 108 seconds (8060 rows).
>
> If I issue the SELECT alone (without the CURSOR) I get the
> same results in less than 1 second.

By trial and error I discovered that adding an "ORDER BY
toponimo" clause to the SELECT, boosts the CURSOR performances
so that they are now equiparable to the SELECT alone.

Is there some documentation on how an ORDER can affect the
CURSOR in a different way than the SELECT?

--
Niccolo Rigacci
Firenze - Italy

War against Iraq? Not in my name!

Сообщение: Re: CURSOR slowes down a WHERE clause 100 times?
Сообщение: Re: CURSOR slowes down a WHERE clause 100 times?