Re: COnsidering a move away from Postgres

От Jason Tesser
Тема Re: COnsidering a move away from Postgres
Дата
Re: COnsidering a move away from Postgres  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-general
HI

On Thursday 30 June 2005 9:20 am, Tom Lane wrote:
> Jason Tesser <jtesser@nbbc.edu> writes:
> > 1. Our dev plan involves alot of stored procedures to be used and we have
> > found the way this is done in PG to be painful. (ie.  To return multiple
> > record from different tables you have to define a type.
>
> FWIW, this won't be essential any more in 8.1.  See the examples in the
> development documentation:
> http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/xfunc-sql.html#XFUNC-OUTPUT-P
>ARAMETERS
> http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/plpgsql-declarations.html#PLP
>GSQL-DECLARATION-ALIASES
> http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/plpgsql-control-structures.ht
>ml#PLPGSQL-STATEMENTS-RETURNING

I might be missing it but how does this help me.  What I would like is to be
able to return multiple records from a select statement that return multiple
columns from different tables without having to create a type.  This is why
it is painful for us.  The management of types is bad because as far as I
know there is no alter type and the depencies become a nightmane if you ever
need to change something.

<snip>

--
Jason Tesser