Re: For review: dbsize patch

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: For review: dbsize patch
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Dave Page wrote:
> > > The attached patch is an update of the dbsize integration patch
> > > discussed last week. This version includes the following functions:
> > >
> > > pg_relation_size(text)   - Get relation size by name/schema.name
> > > pg_relation_size(oid)    - Get relation size by OID
> > > pg_tablespace_size(name) - Get tablespace size by name
> > > pg_tablespace_size(oid)  - Get tablespace size by OID
> > > pg_database_size(name)   - Get database size by name
> > > pg_database_size(oid)    - Get database size by OID
> > > pg_size_pretty(int8)     - Pretty print (and round) the byte size
> > > specified (eg, 123456 = 121KB)
> >
> > Uh, do any of these include the index size?  TOAST size?
>
> No, only total_relation_size() does that.

And we are dropping total_relation_size() in this patch, right?

I do like the new redesign --- it is very clear and consistent, and it
is clear you are looking at relation/tablespace/database levels in the
API.

Can we rename pg_relation_size to be pg_object_size(), because it
handles indexes and TOAST, and use pg_relation_size to return the total
usage of relations, and error if called with a TOAST or index?

I would like to give some way to report a total without having to query
the system catalogs.

> > > So should we include this new feature, and if so, how is it
> > best added -
> > > rewrite in C, or one long line in pg_proc?
> >
> > I would follow whatever we do in pg_proc now.
>
> There are a couple of SQL functions in there, but they are nowhere near
> as long as this one. I'll look at implementing it in C.
>
> Regards, Dave.

Pennsylvania19073