How to move a DB from one server to another...

От Federico Simonetti (Etheye)
Тема How to move a DB from one server to another...
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers-win32
Hello,

this seems strangely to be an extremely complex task. I've tried all kinds of backup/restore (compressed, tared, plain) with all possible options and combination of options. I cannot seem to be able to backup a PostgreSQL satabase on my server and restore it on another server. I always get errors during the restore procedure.

I've even tried to zip the entire database folder, but no luck. I'm stuck with this problem. Why is it so difficult to move a database from one server to another? Many other RDBMS just let you copy the database file (or dir) to the new machine and import it.

Please help, this feature is extremely important for my development.

Thank you in advance,
bye.

Federico Simonetti
Etheye