Re: major, minor and micro version

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: major, minor and micro version
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jun 22, 2005 at 12:36:23AM +0200, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:

> Hello,
>
> is it possible to get the PG version splitted up into major, minor and
> micro version in the future?
> For now, only PG_VERSION is defined (at least, what i can see) and it is
> not possible to use PG_VERSION at compile time to determine the actual
> PG version.
>
> Example:
>
> In a module i want to use some of the new features from 8.0, but if the
> user is compiling the module in a 7.x source tree, the old (but slower)
> functions must be used (SPI_exec versus SPI_execute).

This has been requested before, and while I don't remember whether the
petition has been accepted, I do remember that the customary workaround
was to use the CATALOG_VERSION_NO symbol from src/include/catversion.h.
This number is supposed to keep unchanged across a "major.minor"
release.

--
Alvaro Herrera (<alvherre[a]surnet.cl>)
"When the proper man does nothing (wu-wei),