Re: Why is checkpoint so costly?

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Why is checkpoint so costly?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 02:45:32PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:

> > Another thing to blame is the dump-whole-pages-after-checkpoint
> > business.  Maybe the load you are seeing is not completely during
> > checkpoint, but right after it as well.  How do you tell from the
> > results that the checkpoint is complete?
>
> I can't relate that to the performance numbers, unfortunately.  I think
> that the paging is probably the cause, but I don't know what to do about
> it.

Tom gave instructions in a mail (to you I think) to patch the xlog.c
file so page dumps stop happening.  I'm too lazy to search for that mail
(I deleted my local copy) but if you find it in your mailbox, resend it
to me and I'll produce a patch for you to test.  (I'd produce the patch
myself but I don't know the xlog code well enough to find the right spot
quickly.)

--
Alvaro Herrera (<alvherre[a]surnet.cl>)
Jason Tesser: You might not have understood me or I am not understanding you.