Re: BUG #1721: mutiple bytes character string comaprison

От Tatsuo Ishii
Тема Re: BUG #1721: mutiple bytes character string comaprison
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > Kris Jurka <books@ejurka.com> writes:
> >
> > > Shouldn't we forbid its creation then?
> >
> > There was serious discussion of that before the 8.0 release, but
> > we decided not to forbid it.  Check the archives; I don't recall
> > the reasoning at the moment.
>
> UTF8 encoding works with the C locale assuming you don't care about
> ordering of the character set, e.g. Japanese.

No, sometimes Japanese needs char ordering too and I think this is not
a Windows only problem. The real problem is Unicode defines char
orderes in totally random manner because Chinese/Japanese/Korean Kanji
characters are "Unified" in Unicode. To solve the problem, we can use
convert UTF8 to EUC_JP using CONVERT. See archives for more details.

Or you can use Unicode locale only if your platform's locale database
is not broken and you only use single locale.
--
Tatsuo Ishii