Re: UPDATEABLE VIEWS ... Examples?

От David Pradier
Тема Re: UPDATEABLE VIEWS ... Examples?
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
> >This is maybe a newbie question, but what is the difference with a
> >materialized view ?
>
> As I understand it (and that understanding may be wrong) a
> materialized view is a table that holds the values of a view from
> some point in time. A view is a "saved" subselect. Everything you
> call a view, the PostgreSQL backend re-evaluates the definition of
> the view. A materialized view is only as accurate as the last time it
> was updated. Things such as triggers can be used to keep the
> materialized view updated. The key issue with materialized views is
> to make sure it's always up-to-date with the evaluation of the view.

Thanks Michael, I already know what is a materialized view. I often use
them, systematically updated with some triggers.
It's an updatable view that i didn't knew.

It opens some perspectives in programmation, methinks :-)

Thanks all the same,
David

--
dpradier@apartia.fr - tel: 01.46.47.21.33 - fax: 01.46.47.21.37