Re: Autovacuum in the backend

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: Autovacuum in the backend
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 12:21:44PM -0400, Matthew T. O'Connor wrote:
<snip more stuff about how we need to track pages with dead tuples>

> This will make VACUUM less painful, but it doesn't eliminate the need /
> desire for autovacuum.  I agree this would be good, but I see it as a
> separate issue.

Not only is it a seperate issue, but there's also no way it could
possibly be done for 8.1, whereas autovacuum most likely will make it
into 8.1.  Additionally, there are noted improvements that come about by
putting autovacuum in the backend instead of leaving it in contrib. And
as others have mentioned numerous times, any improvements made to vacuum
will help out vacuum as well.  There simply isn't a downside to putting
it in the backend that anyone's brought up.

Autovacuum was originally scheduled for 8.0. There's been plans to put
it in the backend for close to 2 years now. There's no reason at all to
push it out any farther.