Experiencing problems with stored procedures

От sathish
Тема Experiencing problems with stored procedures
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Dear group,
   We are using postgresql 7.4.7 on Fedora Core 3. We are currently
experiencing problems with running stored procedures on a database that
contains about 1200 tables. We have a table named adm_inst_mas with the
following structure

       Table "public.adm_inst_mas"
  Column   |         Type          | Modifiers
-----------+-----------------------+-----------
 inst_code | integer               | not null
 inst_name | text                  | not null
 inst_abbr | character(3)          | not null
 address   | text                  |
 city      | smallint              |
 district  | smallint              |
 pincode   | character varying(10) |
    "adm_inst_mas_pkey" primary key, btree (inst_code)
    "inst_name_ukey" unique, btree (inst_name)
    "adm_inst_un" unique, btree (inst_abbr)
Triggers:
    inst_order_trg AFTER INSERT ON adm_inst_mas FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE PROCEDURE
inst_order_fun()

We refer to the inst_code field as foreign key in almost 500 tables. At times
when we set a foreign key constraint that refers the inst_code in adm_inst_mas
the database detects deadlock. If we create the same constraint using alter table the
constraint is set. Whenever such error occurs we have difficulties in getting
stored procedures to run.  Now no procedures are getting executed in the database.
But table in which insert statement does not execute has no reference to the table
adm_inst_mas. How shall we debug and correct this problem.  We appreciate your early reply.

Thanking You in advance
Sathish Kumar.S