Re: Converting varchar to bool

От Bruno Wolff III
Тема Re: Converting varchar to bool
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 14:14:46 +0200, KÖPFERL Robert <robert.koepferl@sonorys.at> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I have currently trouble working with boolean values and variables in
> functions.
>
> As one would expect, a
> select '1'::bool, 't'::bool, 'true'::unknown::boolean
>
> works.
>
> As a select '1' tells us this seems as a conversion unknown->bool
> or ??maybe?? a boolean literal??

No it is not a conversion, '1', 't' and 'true' are all valid boolean
strings representing TRUE. The input is not being converted from text
to boolean.

> what-o-ever, at least my function gets not accepted:
>

> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION testbool(varchar)
>   RETURNS boolean AS
> $BODY$
> SELECT $1::boolean
> $BODY$
>   LANGUAGE 'sql' STABLE STRICT SECURITY DEFINER;
>
> Postgres complains that it can't convert varchar to boolean.
> Actually neither  $1::unknown::bool works.
> It turns out that there exists no conversion varchar/text/unknown ->
> boolean.
> Actually there's not any conversion  -> boolean.
>
> How should this be treaten?
> *being confused*
>

> sorry for duplicating (I'm sure) this topic, at least I tried to find it in
> the listarcive.

It has been discussed in the last week.

test.sql:
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION testbool(varchar) RETURNS boolean AS
$BODY$
SELECT boolin(textout($1));
$BODY$ LANGUAGE 'sql' STABLE STRICT SECURITY DEFINER;

SELECT testbool('true');

bruno=> \i test.sql
CREATE FUNCTIONtestbool
(1 row)