Re: Aggregate Functions Template

От postgres@jal.org
Тема Re: Aggregate Functions Template
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Hi, Sqlers -

I just installed 8.0.3, and am getting up to speed with the new
features.  First on my list is Tablespaces. In the docs, I see this:

Note:  There is usually not much point in making more than onetablespace per logical file system, since you cannot
controlthelocation of individual files within a logical file system. However,PostgreSQL does not enforce any such
limitation,and indeed it isnot directly aware of the file system boundaries on your system. Itjust stores files in the
directoriesyou tell it to use.

(http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/manage-ag-tablespaces.html)

I assume this is from the perspective of performance, correct? I was
planning on doing a tablespace per logical project, as we internally
structure most other things that way, and also to ease moving things
around in the event we restructure filesystems, move things between
servers, etc.

In general, at least on our development machines, I was planning on
using them to make data management easier.  I note that I'm not seeing
any Oracle style alter tablespace ... commands for moving things around,
but it appears from that page that it is possible to do by changing the
$PGDATA/pg_tblspc/$symlink and updating pg_tablespace (even if doing so
is 'not recommended').

Is this a flawed use of tablespaces?

Thanks,

-j

--
Jamie Lawrence                                        jal@jal.org
"Reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления: