Re: User Quota Implementation

От Yann Michel
Тема Re: User Quota Implementation
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi Josh,

On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 02:25:11PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > O.K. This makes sens to me. Otherwise I'd like to see quotas per
> > tablespace. As far as I got it, a tablespace may grow in size untile the
> > volume is full. Here a grace quota might be usefull as well. Let's say a
> > 5% threshold like the ext filesystem as an default for generating a
> > warning to th elogs files letting the admin extend the volum(s) by time.
>
> Hmmm ... Tablespace quotas would be *even more* useful than database
> quotas.  If it's just as easy for you?

Well, lets see...

What do we need:

- Extension of the "CREATE TABLESPACE" command: CREATE TABLESPACE tablespacename        [ OWNER username ]        [
SIZE<integer><K | M | G | T> ]        LOCATION 'directory'

- Extension of the "ALTER TABLESPACE" command: ALTER TABLESPACE name        {RENAME TO newname |       SIZE <integer><K
|M | G | T> }

- Storage of this information in the system "tablespace" relation
- Determine the actual size of a tables space --> Already exists in contrib/dbsize/dbsize.c

- Define the point in time where this calculation should happen. That's the point where I think some lazyness may
appear,i.e. it is enough to evaluate the size from time to time but not after each statement. Of cause this will enable
thata tablespace may become to large but once it is to large, further extensions of it will become  prohibited.

- Define how to disable further extension of tablespace objects or creation of new ones.

- Optional: Define postgresql.conf parameter:       "tablesspace_full_warning = 90"       Whenever the threshold of 90
percentis reached a warning will       be generated (and written to the log-files)

So far from me about my thoughts...

Regards,
Yann