Re: [PGF Members]Re: Google's Summer of Code ...

От Christopher Browne
Тема Re: [PGF Members]Re: Google's Summer of Code ...
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> > Incidentally I havent seen any objections, if there are none should we
> > go ahead and whip up an email to google?  Do we want to run this through
> > the foundation? ISTM we would, though I don't know the full extent of
> > what ramifications that would have.
>
> No, the Foundation wasn't formed for this purpose, and doing something
> like this through there would end up taking longer then the deadline to
> pass through even if it was ...

I'm a bit surprised that it would seem inappropriate to run this through
the Foundation.  There's not anyone else around, aside from the
individual Core folk as themselves, that would seem to be "legally
recognizable" for this sort of purpose.

> As for the mentoring program ... my read on it is that the developer
> has to make a proposal for what they wish to accomplish, that proposal
> goes to the mentoring organization who then approves or rejects the
> proposal ...  the proposal, again, from my take, can't be simply
> tackling a few random issues, but is more meant to deal with large
> projects that would take someone full time to get done ... ie. the
> GiST rewrite or something of similar scale ...

In more or less retrospect, I don't think it's reasonable to try to push
significant work items through newcomer 'students.'  With the one caveat
I can think of that Neil Conway is still working on his degree, so that
it's not inconceivable that he might qualify.

The problem is that it takes enough time up front to get familiar with
the code base that the "summer of code" might be eaten up just getting
vaguely familiar with things, and not produce any perceptible results.
Note that if "real work" could take place in the fall, this could be an
entirely productive use of a summer...
--
output = reverse("moc.liamg" "@" "enworbbc")
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/slony.html