SRFs returning records from a view

От mark.lubratt@indeq.com
Тема SRFs returning records from a view
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello!

I have a view that I'm putting into a report in my application.  I'd
like to get several blank lines returned by the view as well as the
legitimate data (to leave room in the report for manual entries).  I
thought I could make a SRF that would return the data from the view and
then spit out a number of blank records.

As a first step in getting my SRF feet wet, I tried:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION bluecard(int4)
  RETURNS SETOF view_bluecard AS
$BODY$declare
    r    view_bluecard%rowtype;
begin
    for r in select * from view_bluecard where job_id = jn loop
        return next r;
    end loop;
    return;
end;$BODY$
  LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE;

where view_bluecard is the view that is already defined.  When I try

select bluecard(1130);

I get the following error:

ERROR:  set-valued function called in context that cannot accept a set
CONTEXT:  PL/pgSQL function "bluecard" line 5 at return next

I've tried searching the archives with no luck.  I've also been
following the SRF tutorial in the TechDocs section.

Can someone please shed some light on this for me?  My plan is to get
this function going and then expand the SRF by creating some other rows
with the blanks as needed and "return next" those as well.

Thanks!
Mark