Re: Consumer-grade vs enterprise-grade disk drives

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Consumer-grade vs enterprise-grade disk drives
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Yea, it is a great paper.  It is an HTML version of the SCSI PDF I
mentioned a few weeks ago:
       http://www.seagate.com/content/docs/pdf/whitepaper/D2c_More_than_Interface_ATA_vs_SCSI_042003.pdf

Someone had mentioned it on the lists a few months ago but I only read
it recently and resuggested it.  One problem with the web version is
that the images didn't transfer very clearly.  I mention it in my
hardware performance tuning paper.

Tom Lane wrote:
> I'm not sure whether this article has been mentioned here before, but
> it definitely is worth a read:
>
> http://www.usenix.org/events/fast03/tech/full_papers/anderson/anderson_html/
>
> >From the proceedings of the FAST '03 conference:
>
> More than an interface - SCSI vs. ATA Dave Anderson, Jim Dykes,
> Erik Riedel Seagate Research
>
> Abstract:
>
> This paper sets out to clear up a misconception prominent in the storage
> community today, that SCSI disc drives and IDE (ATA) disc drives are
> the same technology internally, and differ only in their external
> interface and in their suggested retail price.  ...  This paper attempts
> to clarify the differences by illuminating some of these design choices
> and their consequences on final device characteristics.
>
>         regards, tom lane

-- Bruce Momjian                        |  http://candle.pha.pa.us pgman@candle.pha.pa.us               |  (610)
Pennsylvania19073

Сообщение: Re: Backslash handling in strings
Сообщение: Re: Backslash handling in strings