Re: [despammed] A question about postmaster and postgresql commands

От Andreas Kretschmer
Тема Re: [despammed] A question about postmaster and postgresql commands
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
am  24.05.2005, um  9:50:56 +0200 mailte Agustín Caminero Herráez folgendes:
> Hi!
> Can anybody tell me what the difference between postmaster and posgresql
> is?
> More accurately, what's the difference between running the following
> commands?
>
> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data >logfile 2>&1 &

It starts the postmaster-process. This is the main process of pg.

> and
>
> /etc/init.d/postgresql start

This is a unix-like start/stop - script. You have any other scripts like
this, and you can run this scripts like '/etc/init.d/SCRIPT start' or
with 'stop' as parameter tu start/stop several services in the same way.

Please do a 'less /etc/init.d/postgresql', and you can see how this
script works.

Regards, Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer    (Kontakt: siehe Header)
Heynitz:  035242/47212,      D1: 0160/7141639