Re: Learning curves and such (was Re: pgFoundry)

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Learning curves and such (was Re: pgFoundry)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 03:30:28PM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> >I don't think Stephen was being sarcastic.  Such a system would need an
> >enormous bootstrap effort.  Once it's in place, and having shown its
> >usefulness, maybe the community would start using it.
> >(Of course no one can make promises on that other than for himself.)
>
> Well sorry but that is ridiculous. Either the community (or more
> specifically core) chooses to use it upfront or not. I think it is a
> complete waste of time and energy to expect someone to put in all that
> effort just to have the community give them the finger.
>
> This isn't something that is going to serve the person who loose all the
> sleep to configure and maintain it. It is something that is going to
> help the PostgreSQL community has a whole, to grow in a reasonably
> organized and hopefully less painful way.

Maybe I didn't express myself properly.  I didn't mean that Brendan
should do all the work by himself -- but expecting the whole community,
or the usual developers, to do the initial effort, is not likely to make
this plane fly.  Because the current developers are already comfortable
with the current state of affairs, why should they worry about changing
the process?  This is something the rest of the people can do, for their
own sake.  It can, of course, serve the community eventually.

Would you expect Bruce to enter each and every TODO item in a bug
tracking system?  I wouldn't.  Would I register my own "pet peeves" in
such a system?  Probably I would.

--
Alvaro Herrera (<alvherre[a]surnet.cl>)
"Los románticos son seres que mueren de deseos de vida"

Сообщение: Re: Learning curves and such (was Re: pgFoundry)
Сообщение: Re: Learning curves and such (was Re: pgFoundry)