Re: BAD SU operator at Postgresql startup (during boot)

От Buddy Shearer
Тема Re: BAD SU operator at Postgresql startup (during boot)
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Tom - thanks for responding!

I have been trying to get this posted for two days now so I'm glad my
message finally showed up.

After umpteen  million attempts at getting this installed I think I found
the missing clue.

It is not cron (that's what I thought initially).

To start Postgresql automatically during boot up I had to do the following:

1. After the install was complete I issued the following command:
    su -l pgsql -c "/usr/local/bin/initdb"

2. edited postgresql.conf:
    vi /usr/local/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf

    where I uncommented tcpip_socket and changed it to true
    and I uncommented the line port = 5432

3. I then issued this command:
    /usr/local/etc.rc.d/010.pgsql.sh start

4. Issued this command to ensure it was up and running:
    netstat -an | grep 5432

5. It was up and now all is well with the universe.  AND no more "BAD SU"

For me the issue was getting this installed so after a boot it was up and
running.  I never found steps 2 or 3 in the documentation.  I actually found
it accidentally during the install.  My paused right at the page where these
two steps were being described.  Shame on the Postgresql folks for putting
something as important as his in a screen that would roll off quickly and it
should be in their FAQs somewhere.  That was a friendly rant & suggestion.
;)