Re: perl and insert

От Rich Doughty
Тема Re: perl and insert
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 17 May 2005, Hrishikesh Deshmukh wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Anybody knows how to use perl dbi to read a file line by line and
> insert into db!
> The books which i have tell you exclusively on running queries.

it depends on what you need to achieve, but a good place to start would be
something like:

   while (my $line = <FILE>)
   {
      $dbh->do ('INSERT INTO table (line) VALUES (?)', undef, $line);
   }

Where FILE is your open filehandle, and $dbh is your DBI connection, and
you've modified the SQL as necessary.

If performance is an issue, you may want to try this (although the
performance gains depend on database you're using)

   my $st = $dbh->prepare ('INSERT INTO table (line) VALUES (?)');

   while (my $line = <FILE>)
   {
      $st->execute ($line);
   }