Re: Views, views, views: Summary of Arguments

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: Views, views, views: Summary of Arguments
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 04:03:39PM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> I still don't have any strong views, but I do want the target audience
> specified - I have seen conflicting messages on that. Power users? Admin
> Tool builders? Client library builders? These groups don't all have the
> same needs.

While their needs may not be identical, I don't think that means you
can't provide views that serve all of their needs, unless there are
requirements that are in direct opposition to on another. I can't think
of any requirements in your examples that would fall under this
catagory.

Another use case I wanted to mention is using system views to assist in
remote troubleshooting. If you need to know something about someone's
database, it will be much easier to ask them to run a query against the
system views as opposed to the catalog.