Re: SQL_ASCII vs. 7-bit ASCII encodings

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: SQL_ASCII vs. 7-bit ASCII encodings
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, May 13, 2005 at 09:59:27AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@surnet.cl> writes:
> > The problem is that a single application coming from a single
> > environment is happy with a 8-bit-unchecked encoding, but as soon as
> > they develop a second application using a different environment, which
> > uses a different encoding, they start seeing invalid data pop up.
>
> [ shrug... ]  The evidence at hand says that many people never get to
> that point.  For instance, a particular database may never be accessed
> through anything except JDBC, and so all the incoming data will be utf8
> anyway.

One thing that's not clear to me is what encoding does people running on
Windows get?  Is it also determined based on locale, and is it something
useful?

In fact I've seen many more people with this problem after 8.0 was
released, at least in pgsql-es-ayuda.

--
Alvaro Herrera (<alvherre[a]surnet.cl>)
"La verdad no siempre es bonita, pero el hambre de ella sí"

Сообщение: Re: SQL_ASCII vs. 7-bit ASCII encodings
Сообщение: Re: SQL_ASCII vs. 7-bit ASCII encodings