Re: Views, views, views: Summary of Arguments

От Robert Treat
Тема Re: Views, views, views: Summary of Arguments
Дата
Re: Views, views, views: Summary of Arguments  (Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl@familyhealth.com.au>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thursday 12 May 2005 01:32, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> > FWIW, I don't see the issue as "internal vs external" at all.  What's
> > bothering me is whether these views can be considered sufficiently
> > more stable and better designed than the physical system catalogs
> > to justify recommending that application designers should rely on
> > the views instead of the catalogs.  That point doesn't seem to me
> > to have been proven.  The recent arguments in favor seem to boil down to
> > "novices will find these easier to use", which is very possibly true,
> > but novices don't have the same needs as programs.
>
> As lead phpPgAdmin developer, I'm officially in favour of them.  The
> main reason being all the extra fruit they have that shows database
> size, etc.

As non-lead phpPgAdmin developer, I'd be against using them in phppgadmin.
(note this doesnt mean I am against them in pgsql itself)

> That means we can display this meta information in phpPgAdmin and not
> worry about having to re-implement it all.

You have to query something...  doesn't bother me to go to the source.

--
Robert Treat