Re: implementing NOTIFY with message parameter

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: implementing NOTIFY with message parameter
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 10:09:23AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Andras Kadinger <bandit@surfnonstop.com> writes:
> > ... I therefore invented pg_notify:
>
> Please review the archived discussions about reimplementing NOTIFY using
> only shared memory, no tables.

Maybe this can be done using two SLRU areas like we did for multixact.
Notifiers create entries, listeners destroy them.  Unsolved questions
are how would the listeners know that messages were for them, when would
messages be destroyed if they are multi-recipient, and what performance
issues there are with this approach.

This hammer of mine ... nails, more nails!

--
Alvaro Herrera (<alvherre[a]surnet.cl>)
"Oh, great altar of passive entertainment, bestow upon me thy discordant images