Re: New Contrib Build?

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: New Contrib Build?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 02:55:46PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > First, I *really* wish we'd call it something else. Contrib conveys
> > "unsupported" to people. Maybe we should call it "modules" or something
> > like that.
> Agreed.
Ditto

> > I honestly don't see that it buys a lot. (and the technical obstacle is
> > that there's a maintenance cost, if nothing else).
>
> It would save, me, personally a bunch o' time and troubleshooting, since I
> regularly install 5-6 different contrib modules.

Likewise, I think it would make our various OS ports cleaner. All port
systems are setup to easily allow different optional config options, but
it's generally more difficult to tie additional make steps in. This
means that the only options I've seen for installing things out of
contrib from a port system are to either install all contrib modules or
to hunt down where the source was extracted to.

> > No, not as an appendix, please. Again, that gives the wrong impression.
> > Let's add another main section on optional modules.
>
> OK by me.
Ditto.