Re: lastval()

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: lastval()
Дата
Список pgsql-patches
On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 04:58:54AM +1000, John Hansen wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> > Actually, having it throw an error would be helpful, because
> > then you can find in the application which calls should be
> > replaced by the generic runquery() that has to return nothing
> > versus the one that has to return a sequence value.  So
> > porting is a little more involved but more useful in the end.
>
> Indeed, but my point was that often it is going in the too hard basket.
> Not that I disagree, but how do you predetermine which queries would
> throw an error if they're built dynamically?

Hmm, if your app can build any of them at an arbitrary point, you have a
rather serious problem, I'd say.  The apps I've seen build either kind
at each call site of such runquery().

--
Alvaro Herrera (<alvherre[a]surnet.cl>)
"La fuerza no está en los medios físicos

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] plperl and pltcl installcheck targets
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] plperl and pltcl installcheck targets