Re: Slony v. DBMirror

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: Slony v. DBMirror
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 09:01:58AM -0400, Jeff - wrote:
> slave and hten fire up dbmirror.  Although it might work if you
> install the dbmirror triggers, then dump & restore.

It's a little trickier than that, but yes, it might work.  Somewhere
in my mail archives, I have a very angry rant about this problem and
erserver (the current community version, approximately).  I looked at
dbmirror, and it took me no time to conclude it had the same issues.
It wouldn't be a problem for everyone.

> Slony uses the COPY interface to read/load data.  This is the same
> method used by pg_dump so the only throttle will be the network.

Not quite, because your schema needs to be complete on the target
system (in particular, you need your unique keys to stay, although
you can get rid of some other indexes to speed things up).

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
The plural of anecdote is not data.
        --Roger Brinner