Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
* Magnus Hagander (mha@sollentuna.net) wrote:
> Remind me again how this is actually *better*, and not just making life
> a whole lot worse for me? And more specifically, for a new user that
> doesn't know which files to download already, and will just grab the
> default file.

Or the new user will go 'apt-get install postgresql' and have all the
various packages downloaded and installed for them.  Alternatively, if
they only *want* the server and not every PL under the moon, with all
the various dependencies that may involve, then can 'apt-get install
postgresql-server'.  Big win for me.

> Pulling the interfaces out of the main tarball was bad enough, but it
> had point - ODBC and JDBC need to work with different versions, and may
> be released as different times. Please don't do the same for PLs.

It may need to be done for PLs in the end, especially as more and more
are done (which may happen once it's made easier to do, and examples are
available, and something that anyone could do on their own and provide
a sensible build for, since it doesn't have to be in the main build tree).

Perhaps the interfaces are still in alot of flux, but this is actually
not exactly unheard of when things start taking off more and more- the
big universal package gets split up with well defined interfaces into
seperate pieces so that new pieces can be created more easily and
maintained in a distributed manner.
Thanks,
    Stephen