Re: Adventures in Quest for GUI RAD

От Steve Atkins
Тема Re: Adventures in Quest for GUI RAD
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, May 05, 2005 at 04:28:43PM -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Thu, 5 May 2005, Tony Caduto wrote:
>
> >Programmers Paradise has delphi in their catalogs...
>
>   I haven't used any Microsoft or Winduhs software for about eight years
>   now,
> but I beleive that you can get -- for free -- Qt for winduhs. If you do
> this,
> you get the Qt Designer included. This is a GUI GUI developer; a RAD if you
> wish. It works with C++ and with python (my lanuage of choice now). All
> these
> tools are free.

/me uses Qt a lot

Qt is not exactly free for Windows right now. The current release
of Qt is 3.3.4. There is a learning Qt book available that includes
Qt/Windows 3.2.3 on CD under a fairly liberal license.

Qt 4 is in late beta, and will be available under something like
the GPL for Windows.

Qt has a very nice database abstraction that lets you access most
database features without needing to know the underlying database.
The disadvantage is that it's an abstraction. You can't access some
features using it, and if you're familiar with libpq, say, it feels a
little like working on something while wearing thick gloves.

Cheers,
  Steve