Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
* Peter Eisentraut (peter_e@gmx.net) wrote:
> Stephen Frost wrote:
> > Just to point it out, Debian handles circular dependencies like these
> > without too much difficulty.  It's really only an issue when first
> > building the various packages, and then you just build one without
> > all the support initially, build the other, then rebuild the first
> > with the support.
>
> I don't really believe that.  People frequently do automated builds of
> the entire archive from scratch .  There cannot be true circular build
> dependencies.  That's the reason why the circular Qt <-> unixODBC
> dependency isn't resolved yet.
>
> Of course, on Debian, this whole discussion is moot anyway because the
> php-pgsql client module is built from an independent source package for
> other historic reasons.

No, it's exactly the case, and in fact I helped John Goerzen with
exactly this issue of circular dependencies when first building the
entire archive for amd64 about a year ago.  Feel free to discuss it with
him if you don't believe me for some reason.

It may not be the case with this particular package but there are
certinaly other instances (one that's fresh to mind is the X11 packages
and groff, feel free to check it out yourself if you'd like; might be a
little better than claiming others are wrong).
Thanks,
    Stephen

Сообщение: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement
Сообщение: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement