Re: How to improve db performance with $7K?

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: How to improve db performance with $7K?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Alex Turner wrote:
> Does it really matter at which end of the cable the queueing is done
> (Assuming both ends know as much about drive geometry etc..)?

Good question.  If the SCSI system was moving the head from track 1 to
10, and a request then came in for track 5, could the system make the
head stop at track 5 on its way to track 10?  That is something that
only the controller could do.  However, I have no idea if SCSI does
that.

The only part I am pretty sure about is that real-world experience shows
SCSI is better for a mixed I/O environment.  Not sure why, exactly, but
the command queueing obviously helps, and I am not sure what else does.