Re: [sfpug] DATA directory on network attached storage

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: [sfpug] DATA directory on network attached storage
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Jeff,

>  Specifically is the performance of
> gigE good enough to allow postgres to perform under load with an NFS
> mounted DATA dir?  Are there other problems I haven't thought about?  Any
> input would be greatly appreciated.

The big problem with NFS-mounted data is that NFS is designed to be a lossy
protocol; that is, sometimes bits get dropped and you just re-request the
file.  This isn't a great idea with databases.

If we were talking SAN, then I don't see any reason why your plan wouldn't
work.  However, what type of failure exactly are you guarding against?  How
likely is a machine failure if its hard drives are external?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions