Re: DROP TYPE without error?

От Craig Addleman
Тема Re: DROP TYPE without error?
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
I was confronted with a similar problem. I have several scripts which create
or modify schemas, and each run in a single transaction. So, dropping a
non-existent TYPE will produce a show-stopping error. I wrote this function,
and others for various database objects:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION dba_droptype(varchar) RETURNS boolean AS '
DECLARE  p_type ALIAS FOR $1;  v_exists boolean;
BEGIN  SELECT INTO v_exists TRUE WHERE EXISTS(     SELECT 1 FROM pg_type     WHERE typname = p_type::name);  IF
v_existsTHEN     RAISE NOTICE ''Dropping TYPE %'', p_type;     EXECUTE ''DROP TYPE '' || p_type || '' CASCADE'';  END
IF; RETURN FOUND;

END;
' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

COMMENT ON FUNCTION dba_droptype(varchar) IS '
Usage: SELECT dba_drop_type(type_name)
Checks for existence of a type and drops it if found.
Implements DROP TYPE CASCADE; if a function or other object
depends on the type, that object will also be dropped.
Returns TRUE if successful, returns FALSE if type is
not found.';

--
Craig Addleman
DBA