Re: BUG in pg_autovacuum - with patch

От Karl Denninger
Тема Re: BUG in pg_autovacuum - with patch
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On Sat, Apr 02, 2005 at 12:16:00PM -0500, Matthew T. O'Connor wrote:
> Karl Denninger wrote:
>
> >I have a process which does backups by mounting a disk into a RAID array,
> >allowing it to sync, then it must stop the database before detaching it so
> >as to insure that the DBMS is consistent on the backup disk.
> >
> >Once detached, Postgres must be restarted, of course......
> >
> >This process is MUCH faster than dumping the disks to tape and results in a
> >bootable backup volume - the latter is of great value for disaster recovery!
> >

> The problem is that if pg_autovacuum exits and then is relaunched, it
> doesn't remember any of it's state information  from when it last
> exited.  So if you are stopping and starting autovacuum one a day, it
> will be  less effective.  If you have some very active tables that
> autovacuum will vacuum several times a day then I can still see it's
> usefullness,  but it's never going to vacuum a table that doesn't have
> enough activity to cause a vacuum in one day.
>
> Anyway, if pg_autovacuum is causing problems for cron I'm sure we would
> still benefit from this patch.  However, while I claim no expertise
> related to detaching from the console, I will say that I copied the code
> detach code directly from  postgresql itself, so I would have thought it
> was OK.  Can someone more informed than I take a look at this patch?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matthew

You left out the closeout of the stdio streams from the Postgresql code you
copied. :->

Karl Denninger (karl@denninger.net) Internet Consultant & Kids Rights Activist
http://www.denninger.net    My home on the net - links to everything I do!
http://scubaforum.org        Your UNCENSORED place to talk about DIVING!
http://www.spamcuda.net        SPAM FREE mailboxes - FREE FOR A LIMITED TIME!
http://genesis3.blogspot.com    Musings Of A Sentient Mind

От: "Matthew T. O'Connor"
Сообщение: Re: BUG in pg_autovacuum - with patch
От: "Karl O. Pinc"
Сообщение: On line manual pages need easy access to TOC