Re: Good Books

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Good Books
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 03:41:06PM +0200, postgresql@bryden.co.za wrote:

Craig,

> There are a lot of the topics that I feel could have better (or more
> comprehensive examples). In particular I am thinking of plpgsql. One
> example is information about working with Exceptions (postgresql specific)
> and another is the small amount of info about the RAISE Statement.
>
> Refering to my mention of exceptions above, the following is information
> that I could not find in the standard docs:
> How to use(Return using RAISE) the actual exception code and message once
> you have handled the error. This is especially usefull if you have used
> WHEN OTHERS to catch the error.

No book will tell you how to do that, because the EXCEPTION support in
plpgsql is new as of Postgres 8.0, and some things are not there yet.

If the documentation doesn't say how to do it, then maybe there is no
way.  You'd need to convince a hacker that it's a useful feature so they
can add it.

"I personally became interested in Linux while I was dating an English major
who wouldn't know an operating system if it walked up and bit him."
(Val Henson)