Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?

On Sat, Mar 19, 2005 at 07:05:53PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@dcc.uchile.cl> writes:
> > We probably also need multi-table indexes.
>
> As Josh says, that seems antithetical to the main point of partitioning,
> which is to be able to rapidly remove (and add) partitions of a table.
> If you have to do index cleaning before you can drop a partition, what's
> the point of partitioning?

Hmm.  You are right, but without that we won't be able to enforce
uniqueness on the partitioned table (we could only enforce it on each
partition, which would mean we can't partition on anything else than
primary keys if the tables have one).  IMHO this is something to
consider.

"El hombre nunca sabe de lo que es capaz hasta que lo intenta" (C. Dickens)

Сообщение: Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?
Сообщение: Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?