Cannot get postgres started on Fedora core 3

От Mark Travis
Тема Cannot get postgres started on Fedora core 3
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
System: 1.5 GB memory; 160 GB hard drive with 140 GB free (plenty of space
in the database directories); 1.5 Mhz AMD Athlon processor.
    - Fedora Core 3 with all fixes applied
    - Postgres 7.4 as supplied by up2date (RedHat network)

I've been trying to get postgres to start on my machine for a few days (on
and off) and have not been successful in understanding why it will not
start.

It had been running fine for several weeks as the database backend to the
OpenGroupware server. One day, it would not start (service postgres start
[FAILED] ) I do not know the cause of the failure, it could have been a
power failure that caused an unclean shutdown, it could have been too big of
a file going into the team server (OpenGroupware), or ??

I've tried to shutdown and restart the Linux server several times. Postgres
fails to start in the startup. [FAILED]

I've tried every way possible to start postmaster and postgres to no avail,
including using pg_ctl.

I can't find any logs to tell my why it is failing, and the only book I
have, "Practical PostgreSQL" is of no help.

The conf files are standard with only minor modifications to allow the tcp
port, etc.

Please point me in the right direction! Thanks!

Mark